According to The Chronicle's 75th Jubilee Supplement (published in March 1981)
"Back to 1905 and the horse and buggy days. It is the coachbuilding and blacksmith premises of the late Mr W.B. Macintosh in Queen Street. Mr Macintosh, incidentally, died in Auckland in 1963. Left to right in the old photograph are five members of the staff of those days, Messrs C.A. Welby, apprentice painter (then 13); W. Alloway, a coach builder; W. Wilton, a journeyman painter; A. Brown, a blacksmith's striker; and W. Bilderbeck, a blacksmith. The building was on the site of Bonners' Garage."
Printed on front of mounting board, top right, with black ink: “P 16”
Stamped on back with black ink – Horowhenua Historical Society. Acc. No. Date
See also – Acc. #2000.462 (original ? dated c.1908).
Workers from the W.B. MacIntosh, Coach, Carriage and Wagon Factory stand outside their place of work c. 1908. The young man to the left of the photograph is Charles Welby, a lifetime resident of Levin. This factory was on the site now (2001) occupied by Writeprice Supermarket in Queen Street.
1 B&W photo print copy, mounted
See also2000.462.0001 (original).
Any use of this image must be accompanied by the credit “Horowhenua Historical Society Inc.”