Skip to Content

Typed on piece of paper glued to back: “E.J. August site later bought by J. Harvey from F. Hedgman. In 1991 site occupied by G. Brownhill (Jeweller) and Bennets Pharmacy. Clark’s site now Rushtons, Zillah Modes and Clarks Menswear. From a glass negative lent by Mr H.S. Walkley.”

Penciled on back: “34 CH top & 35 bottom.”

The business premises of E.J. August, Upholsterer & Undertaker, Furniture Warehouse and – Agent for : E.Collie & Dresden Piano Co, situated on the eastern side of Oxford St., Levin,. This photograph was taken between 1907 and 1911, the known dates that Mr August operated his business from this site. He moved to the opposite side of Oxford Street in 1912. The business of W.M. Clark is to the right (south side)

1 B&W photo print copy, mounted (with 2000.018.0098a)

Any use of this image must be accompanied by the credit “Horowhenua Historical Society Inc.”

Identification

Object type
Image
Title
E.J. August, Oxford St., Levin

Related items

E.J. August, Oxford St., Levin
W.B. MacIntosh, coach builder
A. Levy Ltd., Oxford St., Levin
Hotel Arcadia, Levin
Howard Harvey & Sons
Businesses, Oxford Street, Levin
W.M. Clark's First Shop
C.S. Keedwell's Pharmacy, Levin
Horowhenua Electric Power Board, Levin
Horowhenua Electric Power Board, Levin
Abattoir, Levin
Opening of Levin Mall, 1971

Creation

Created By

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
buildings,
commercial,
hhs mounted photograph collection,
levin,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

E.J. August, Oxford St., Levin
W.B. MacIntosh, coach builder
A. Levy Ltd., Oxford St., Levin
Hotel Arcadia, Levin
Howard Harvey & Sons
Businesses, Oxford Street, Levin
W.M. Clark's First Shop
C.S. Keedwell's Pharmacy, Levin
Horowhenua Electric Power Board, Levin
Horowhenua Electric Power Board, Levin
Abattoir, Levin
Opening of Levin Mall, 1971

User comments