The meeting which was duly constituted and summoned was held for the following purposes : viz –
1. To make a Special Order levying a special rate to provide interest on a special Loan of £3,000 raised by the Council for the purposes of making streets.
2. To make a “Special Order” authorising the payment of interest on certain former Special Loans out of General Revenue and (3) to deal with the weekly half holiday question in terms of “The Shops and Offices Act, 1904”.
The following resolutions were passed unanimously –
Mover – the Mayor, Seconder – Cr Ryder
Special Order. “In pursuance of, and in exercise of the powers vested in it in that behalf by the ‘Local Bodies Loans Act, 1901’ and its amendments, the Levin Borough Council hereby resolves as follows : “That for the purposes of providing interest and other charges on a loan of £3,000 authorised to be raised by the Levin Borough Council under Sections 7 to 13 and 16 of the above mentioned Act, for the purposes of making streets within the Borough of Levin, the said Levin Borough Council hereby makes and levies (by Special Order) a special rate of one seventh of a penny in the pound upon the Capital value of all ratable property of the whole of the said Borough of Levin, and that such Special Rate shall be an annual recurring rate during the currency of such loan, and be payable yearly on the first day of June in each and every year during the currency of such loan being a period of 41 years or until the loan is fully paid off.”
Moved by the Mayor – seconded by Cr Ryder –
“That the foregoing ‘Special Order’ striking the special rate for the £3,000 streets’ loan be submitted for confirmation at the ordinary meeting of the Council to be held in the Council Chamber at 8 o’clock pm on the 3rd February 1908”.
Moved by the Mayor – seconded by Cr Levy\
Special Order. In pursuance and exercise of the powers vested in it in that behalf by Section 5 of ‘The Local Bodies Loans Amendment Act, 1902’ the Levin Borough Council hereby resolves and makes a Special Order as follows :
1. “That the interest and sinking fund on the Levin Borough Council’s proportion of the following special loans to be paid out of the General Revenue of the Borough – that is to say Horowhenua County (Wirokino and Tokomaru Ridings) Special Loan, late Wirokino Road Board Special Loan, Levin Block Special Loan, Horowhenua Beach Road Special Loan, Levin Water-race Special Loan, Wirokino Bridge Special Loan and Ohau Bridge Special Loan”.
2. “That with the consent of the Controller and Auditor General, the interest and sinking fund on the Borough’s proportion of the following special Loans be paid out of the General Revenue of the Borough – that is to say Levin Streets Special Loan, Weraroa Streets Special Loan and Horowhenua West Road Special Loan”.
3. “That the interest together with the debentures as they mature from time to time respecting two Special Loans of £375 each raised by the said Levin Borough Council for purchasing gravel sites, be paid out of the General Revenue of the Borough”.
Moved by the Mayor and seconded by Cr Levy “That the foregoing ‘Special Order’ made regarding the payment of interest on certain loans out of General Revenue be submitted for confirmation at the ordinary meeting of the Council to be held on the 3rd February 1908”.
Moved by Cr Hudson – seconded by Cr Hankins : “That in accordance with the terms of ‘The Shops and Offices Act, 1904’ this Council hereby resolves that Wednesday shall be the working day of the week for the closing of shops at one o’clock in the Borough of Levin”.
This concluded the business of the Special Meeting.
Confirmed : ‘B R Gardener” Feb 3, 1908