Printed bottom right of original: “Weraroa, Thompson & Palmer series.”
Typed on piece of paper glued to back: “Corner Mako Mako Road and Oxford St. Swainson & Bevan Building. Old Railway station opposite. New one is to the south of this one. Donated by Mrs Eleanor Kean, 1970.”
Stamped on back with black ink – Horowhenua Historical Society. Acc. No. Date
According to The Chronicle 75th Jubilee Supplement published in March 1981:
"Mako Mako Road, Oxford Street intersection, Swainson and Bevan's building built in 1904 and burnt down in 1909 - the Weraroa Hotel in the background suffered a similar fate a few years later. The building in the foreground was rebuilt in brick. At left is the first railways station at Weraroa, the present one being located further south."
Weraroa looking south from Oxford Street just north of Mako Mako Road. Swanson and Bevan’s building is on the south western corner of the Mako Mako Road and Oxford Street intersection. The Weraroa Hotel is further south on Oxford Street on the south western corner of the intersection with Ward Street. The railway station is to the left. Oxford Street is a wide, unsealed road.
1 B&W photo print copy, mounted
Any use of this image must be accompanied by the credit “Horowhenua Historical Society Inc.”