Penciled on back: ” 62 CH. 1895 (caption) Levin Centenary. Scene from Railway Goods Shed. Prouse Brothers Sawmill 1891-1907. 2 storey Prouse House in back. The Power Board sub-station stands there now 1980.”
Stamped on back with black ink – Horowhenua Historical Society. Acc. No. Date
Prouse Brothers Sawmill, Weraroa, 1895. The sawmill is on the eastern side of the Main Trunk Line. Behind the mill native timber stands with the Tararua Ranges in the background. The two-storied home of James Prouse is visible in the centre right of the photograph. In the foreground are three saddled horses and a man stands at the head of one horse.
1 B&W photo print copy, mounted
Any use of this image must be accompanied by the credit “Horowhenua Historical Society Inc.”