Printed on front of mounting board, top right, with black ink: “P 53”
Written below pictures 1 and 2, as caption: “The whares left by Mr P. Bartholomew after the removal of his sawmill. 11.1.14.”
Written below picture 3, as caption: “The old sawmill site from the terrace near the main gate leading into Leighton paddock. 11.1.14.”
Written on back with black ballpoint pen - The Bartholomew sawmill occupied this site by the Makahika river from 1906. Late in 1913 the machinery was removed to a new site near the Makaretu junction with Ohau. G.L. Adkin renovated the whare next the low knoll (The ‘Kopje’) so that he could camp there while developing North Block. After he had married Maud Herd ( in December 1915) they spent nearly three months living here while ‘Woodside’ homestead was built on Section 42, Queen Street East. They called it ‘Sonoma’, after ‘The Valley of the Moon’ in Jack London’s novel of that name. (Adkin Coll, A.T.L)
Stamped on back with black ink – Horowhenua Historical Society. Acc. No. Date
Three photographs of the old sawmill site, Makahika River, Horowhenua, 1 November 1914. Picture (1) top – Whare (door open) and saddled horse. Picture (2) centre – Same whare (left) and 2nd whare (right). Picture (3) bottom – Remains of sawmill site & the whares.
1 B&W photo print copy, mounted (composite)
Any use of this image must be accompanied by the credit “Horowhenua Historical Society Inc.”