This is a page from the last log book of the Himatangi Transmitting Station. The station started it's career in 1953 with an early highlight being the transmission of the Queen's Christmas Message during her 1953 New Zealand tour. By 1993 satellite stations were replacing radio as the main means of international communication and the station shut down only a few weeks after these entries were made.
The station was government run and transmitted messages via radio- another station in Wellington acted as the receiver. Before undersea cables and satellites, these radio stations were our main link with the outside world.
Attack submarine motors were used as backup generators in the 1960s to ensure Himatangi never ran out of power.
A control panel from the station, and many historical documents, can be viewed at the MAVtech Museum in Foxton's Coronation Hall.