Printed on front of mounting board, top right, with black ink – P 47
Written on back with black ballpoint pen - Levin Saleyards, sited on Queen Street West, north side, between Weraroa Road and Salisbury Street, between 1899 and 1927. Photograph : G.L. Adkin. Copied : J. Casey, VUW, June 1986, from D. Hodge album for A.J. Dreaver. (Neg. : A.J.D.)
Mentioned in book – ‘Horowhenua County and its People’, page 201 - Levin … first sale … 12 February 1893 in yards at the back of Fred Stuckey’s barn. ... 9 days later … Abraham & Williams ‘are starting to erect the new stockyards’. ... Queen Street West, which served until 1925.
Several pens of sheep and a large group of men at the Saleyards, Queen Street West, Levin. These saleyards sited between Weraroa Road and Saulsbury Street were on the northern side of Queen Street and were in use from 1890’s to 1920’s.
1 B&W photo print copy, mounted
Any use of this image must be accompanied by the credit “Horowhenua Historical Society Inc.”