Penciled on back : “Thompson House. 75 yrs in Levin, P.52”
See also 2000.234.0001 (original and information) as follows: “Cenotaph. (Circa 1922) The first Soldier’s Memorial erected in the Public Gardens. Due to public protest, it was pulled down and the present one built. The stone in the picture was a natural one obtained from the Arapapae Hills (Gladstone Road extension). In getting the stone out it was cracked (as shown in the picture). Thompson House is in the background.
The first war memorial in the Bath Street gardens with Thompson House in the background, c.1922. The war memorial is made of a large natural stone from the Arapaepae hills and is set on a mound of other stones with steps leading to it. This memorial was later replaced.
1 B&W photo print copy, mounted (with 2000.018.0237b)
See also 2000.234.0001
Any use of this image must be accompanied by the credit “Horowhenua Historical Society Inc.”