Printed on front of mounting board, top right, with black ink – P 51
Written on back with black ballpoint pen - The destruction of native bush at the eastern boundary of Mill Ridge. This was part of W.G. Adkin’s ‘Up River’ property, North Block. In 1913 he leased it to his son, G.L. Adkin, to give him the independence to marry Maud Herd. The steep approach slope, eastern side of Makahika Valley, had been felled and burned for some years. To get a good fence-line along the ridge-top with access past the top of two ravines, they bought a section of bush from the government.
First burn (Leighton’s Spur), North Block, 1914 1 B&W photo print copy, mounted composite
Picture 1, caption – 28.2.14 The First Burn on hilltop from the top of Leighton’s Spur, two hours after firing. See also – #.0305 (enlarged duplicate).
Picture 2, caption – 7.6.14 The First Burn from the top of Leighton’s Spur a few weeks after sowing the grass-seed. See also – #.0306 (enlarged duplicate).
Any use of this image must be accompanied by the credit “Horowhenua Historical Society Inc.”