Starting at Coronation Hall where the plaque shows a photograph of cars assembled 'outside the Coronation Hall (c1915) in readiness for a parade. The front car's sign urges citizens to "Support the Wounded Soldiers". The others read "Remember Grand Patriotic Concert". Such concerts were held in 1915 and 1916.
The Manawatu Hotel stands in the background. Between the hall and the hotel is a house belonging to S. Howan.
|Photo below: circa 1915||Photo below: 2010|
Over the road are Ihakara Gardens. The Maori settlement of Te Awahou was located in this area. The war memorial stands on the triangle reserve which is reputed to have been the site of the meeting house of the settlement. The Ngati Raukawa people that lived here were led by Ihakara Tukumaru. Nearby Ihakara Gardens are on the site of the kainga's burial ground which was used by both Maori and Pakeha. Although Ihakara's people later abandoned the settlement they returned to bury the body of their chief there in 1881. This is one of the six graves still marked by a headstone. Photos (left): Sign outside Ihakara Gardens (right): View of 4 headstones in Ihakara Gardens.
In Ihakara Gardens there is a plaque with three photographs taken by Wanganui photographers Harding-Denton in 1878. The originals of these photos are held in the Alexander Turnbull Library. In the foregrounds of each is part of Ihakara Gardens with picket fence marked graves.
Photograph: The "Old Cemetery" as it was known, became very much neglected and from the early 1900s locals began agitating for it to be cleaned up. This photograph shows how it had been invaded by pine trees. Also in the photograph is the old Court House built in the mid 1860s and replaced in 1929.
Historical background: Before any upgrading could be started the Borough had to approach the Maori owners. Several years of discussion etc. resulted in the land being offered to the Borough as a gift. In the mid 1920s the "Old Cemetery" became the focus of the activities of the Foxton Beautifying Society and they organised the cleaning up of the section, shaping and grassing of the hill, laying of footpaths, construction of the fence and planting of shrubs. Thus the "Old Cemetery" became Ihakara gardens and the town had one of its iconic features.
The oldest marked grave (1850) is that of Dr J. Best a nephew of Capt. F. Robinson whose son is also buried here. Ann, the daughter of one of the district's other early settlers T and K Kebbell, was buried here in 1854. There are certainly others whose graves are no longer marked, buried here, for this urupu of the Te Awahou marae was the only burial ground in the town until 1871. Besides Ihakara, there are six other Maori of his whanau listed on the headstones. Earlier photographs show picket fences around sites where there is now no indication of a burial having taken place. There are twelve people who it is considered would almost certainly have been buried here.
Main Street, Foxton
Similar view in 2010: |
Secondary department Foxton D H S
Foxton District High School Secondary department taken from Ihakara Gardens.
- Foxton Parade at Coronation Hall li>
- Foxton Town Hall and Manawatu Hotel in 2010 li>
- Sign outside Ihakara Gardens, Foxton li>
- Headstones in Ihakara Gardens, Foxton li>
- From Ihakara Gardens, Foxton looking east 2010 li>
- Main Street, Foxton from Ihakara Gardens 2010 li>
- The Old Cemetery, Foxton li>
- Main Street Plaque li>
- Secondary Department plaque, Foxton li>
- Gas Lamp plaque, Foxton li>
- Main Street view south from Clyde Street, Foxton 2010 li>
- Whytes Hotel, Main Street, Foxton li>
- Whytes Hotel, Foxton 2010 li>
- Whytes Hotel corner, Foxton 2010 li>
- 1912 Fires plaque li>
A walk through historic Foxton - Part 2