Written on back with black ballpoint pen & blue pen: “Harry J. Hughes (deceased), Gertrude (Gwendoline) Hughes (deceased), son James Hughes (deceased 1985, aged 72). Harry Hughes bought bakery at corner of Oxford St. & Devon St. in 1915 from Joseph Scott, baking there until 1920, then selling business only, to McLean. Hughes bought business back in 1924, operating until 1935, when Phelps & Wenham operated it until 1968, when Bridewells Bakery Palm. Nth bought the business soon closing the bakery, using it for some yearsfor distribution of bread from Palm. Nth. Hughes kept ownership of property with it passing ultimately to son James. Property sold in 1968 to Hudson & Burnham for use as a used car yard. F.C. Swanwick.”
Harry, Gertrude and their son James Hughes, along with their dog, pose on the rock-lined path outside a wooden cottage. Mr Hughes is wearing a shirt and a short tie, and a jacket and trousers. He has his left hand on the shoulder of his son James, who is wearing a woolen pullover with a tie, shorts, and is barefooted. Mrs Hughes is wearing a white blouse, a long black (full) skirt and black shoes. Her hair is wound in a bun on top of her head.
1 B&W photo print,mounted
Any use of this image must be accompanied by the credit “Horowhenua Historical Society Inc.”