The dining room and staff at "Miranui" at the official opening of the mill on Saturday, November 16th, 1907.
The dining room could seat 130 people.
The man on the right was the chief cook, nick named the "Immortal Phipps."
Photo: Palmerston North Public Library used in Bob Ayson's book Miranui
Description: Miranui Flaxmill (A L Seifert Flaxmilling Coy Ltd), near Shannon, was opened 16 November 1907 by the Hon, Robert McNab (Minister of Lands and Agriculture). The man on the far right is the mill cook, known as ‘Immortal Phipps’. Miranui Flaxmill was the largest and most up-to-date flaxmill in New Zealand at the time.