Levin Volunteer Fire Brigade Dad seated first row left runner.
Levin Volunteer Fire Brigade 1907
Wilfed Ransom (seated at left in middle row) was the brigade’s runner.
See also – Acc# 2001.064 (copy prints), gives the following identifications and information: Left to Right - Back Row: E. Hallaway, D. Rowe, Moore (driver holding reins). Centre Row: W. Ransom, C. Bridge, J. Fallas, T. Johnson. Front Row: H. Austice, D. Musgrove, D. Hooper, J. McTaggart, Eastope, R. Jones.
In front of first Fire Station (Oxford St.), Established 1902. This is a manual pump used for soak wells in the commercial area and from water courses & household tanks. The vehicle was pulled by 2 horses belonging to a local carrier. The building with the chimney is the Horowhenua County Council Office. The 1st Chief Fire Officer was a Mr Leonard (a saddler).
Any use of this image must be accompanied by the credit “Horowhenua Historical Society Inc.”