Each oral history can be seen by clicking on the links below:
|Mrs Maxwell (Cyril) Bartholomew|| |
An account of the early Bartholomew sawmilling days
|Mr Richard Allan Prouse||An account of the early Prouse sawmilling days |
- ballot for land
- previous milling & shifting the mill to Levin
- characteristics of the trees
- shift to Shannon
- Gorrie's mill at Ohau
- employment conditions
- bush & mill fires
- train to Wellington for wages
- Mrs Prouse as nurse & midwife.
|Mr George France||Founding of firm of Harvey & France |
- home & farm, Kawiu Rd.
- description of early buildings in the main Oxford St block.
|Mr Hector McDonald (3rd)||Resume of family history. |
- Interesting account of his father's Accommodation Hotel for travellers coaching along the beach before the advent of the railway.
- Good description of the early landscape before clearing of the land.
- Recounts the sale of Levin sections by Maori, surveying by the government into individual title, the conversion of the bush into a dairying and horticultural area.
- Family relationships with Maoris
- Early schooling