Community Contributed

Shannon Volunteer Fire Brigade

Kete Horowhenua2019-10-21T01:15:47+00:00

The old fire station was a hut from Mangahao Dam brought down by volunteers in 1928 and
placed opposite the Albion Tavern (T.A.B)
30 January 1928.

The original Shannon Fire Bell
obtained from the Wellington
Fire Board for £8.

Early Shannon Fire Truck

Model of thefirst Shannon Fire Truck


At the formal opening ceremony of Shannon’s
new fire station, a former Mayoress, Mrs E.L. Hyde, together with Mr R.E. Downes, a former mayor, cuts the ribbon.
Tues. Oct. 28, 1969

New Shannon Volunteer Fire Brigade
station officially opened on Tues. Oct. 28, 1969
.

Shannon Volunteer Fire Brigade c.1959


The Shannon Volunteer Fire Brigadesmen, led
by Chief Fire Officer C.G. Wishart shown leaving
the old station to march to the new one.
Tues. Oct. 28, 1969.

Shannon Volunteer Fire Brigade
Poss in 1980s at an award ceremony?

As can read in the Brief History of the Shannon Volunteer Bridgade, the small town brigades were largely funded by the indivuals of the town and their fund raising efforts.

In 1947 the Shannon community ran a successful Queen Carnival which raised £1175 14s for the Fire Brigade.

The winning queen was Miss Ngaire Peach from the town committee with £534 12s 7d.