Levin District High School closes 1939

Original Filename: Levin_District_High_School_closes_-_EP_16_December_1939.jpg (view)

Original Size: 200 KB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

Levin District High School closes 1939.

Caption

LEVIN SCHOOL SECONDARY DEPARTMENT CLOSED

The  Levin School ceases from yesterday to function as a District High School.

The secondary department has been in existence since 1905.

It was the original intention of the Department that the school should have an agricultural bias, but this subject did not count in the matriculation examination and the school languished till the curriculum was altered.

After that it flourished and became easily the largest District High School in New Zealand, with a staff of fifteen teachers.

During the whole 34 years it has had only two regular headmasters, the late Mr. James Mclntyre and Mr. R. J. Foss.

Owing to the many changes that will now take place in the staff farewell gatherings have been numerous. Presentations have been made to Mrs. W. McLeavey, who was for 12 years on the staff, Mr. J. Casey (20) years), and Mr. A. Hinde (21 years).

Mr. W. Thomas, who has been acting headmaster for the past three years, is to be the first principal of the Horowhenua College, which opens in February.

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tags

Levin District High School closes 1939


Creator:The Evening Post
Creation date: 16 December 1939
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Levin District High School closes 1939 by Pippa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License