Topic: Shannon Railway Station

topic type:

Built in 1893, Shannon railway station is the last remaining station of the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company.

It was restored with a grant from the Lotteries Grants Board, and functions now as an information centre and museum.

The station still functions today as a stop for the commuter route. The Capital Express train runs weekdays between Wellington and Palmerston North. 

The building currently houses the Rail Heritage Trust. An attractive garden surrounds the building.

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion