Topic: St Andrews Church, Manakau

topic type:

St Andrews historic Anglican Church, Mokena Kohere Street, Manakau Village.

Church from the frontFrom the Heritage Trail Sign

St Andrews was opened on 23rd December 1894 by the Rev James McWilliam of Otaki who gave the site, & consecrated in April 1895 by the Rt Rev Fredric Wallis, Bishop of Wellington. The Rev Digby Jenkins, Deacon, assisted at both.

The Wellington Diocesan Architect, Fredric De-Jersey Clere designed the Church. It is one of more than 100 churches he designed in the Wellington province. It has a notable steeply pitched roof structure, distinctive Bell Tower, narrow rectangular Nave & separate Chancel at the east end with a lean-to Vestry.  The windows are Lancet. There are small decorative crosses at the west end. The porch on the western aspect was a departure from the traditional gothic church style to suit New Zealand weather conditions. The Church, built by Charles Nees to accommodate 80 people was built in local timber.

-- 

 

St Andrews is a "working" Church, part of the Anglican Parish of Otaki.

The current Vicar is the Reverend Ian Campbell.

Services are Sundays at 9am, except the first Sunday of the month.

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

St Andrews Church, Manakau


Construction date:1894
Architect:Fredric De-Jersey Clere
Other owners:, , , , and
Location:Mokena Kohere Street, Manakau Village